Sunday, January 17, 2010

Gimme Some of Your Marrow

Dear DC,

Kyle and I ventured out today to the Health and Fitness Expo to check out a few things. One of the main reasons I wanted to go was to see a couple of local clogging groups perform. I saw one group and let's just say that I can understand why no one under the age of 60 is inspired by their performance to join clogging. I almost feel like it is my duty as a dancer to introduce some life into clogging around here...but that's another project for another day.

As we are both VERY line adverse, we didn't get any screenings done or get any of the free crap that is handed out (nor did we want any) but I did get to do something very special. I signed up to be added to the bone marrow donor registry. It was very simple form and a couple of cheek swabs and by far the most satisfying part of the day.

I've always wanted to do this but have not taken the opportunity thus far. When I was in high school my two brothers went to an information session about being a bone marrow donor and I think about becoming a live kidney donor. I don't remember if they did or were able to sign up, but I remember being very disappointed that I was too young to go with them.

I've also heard that it's quite painful but now almost always done under general anesthesia. The chances of me getting matched with someone are probably pretty slim but I am grateful that I have the opportunity to even join a database that could save someone's life.

You could also donate your baby's cord blood and have the same effect. Look into it.

With "My Marrow is Your Marrow" Love,

Julia

1 comments:

Amy Jarrett Hill said...

you are my hero. i have missed reading your blog. i need to catch up. also feel bad about missing kyle's birthday. sounds like 2010 will be so great for you guys. can't wait to see it all unfold. cheers! from phoenix.