Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Identity Crisis #2

Dear DC,

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to spend a day as the opposite sex? I have, and today was my opportunity. However, it wasn't for a whole day, just for a short hour and it wasn't by choice. This morning in our ongoing struggle to have our car registered in DC, we went to the DMV (again) and got our driver's licenses. My picture wasn't perfect, but I don't really care. My address, birthday, and weight (unfortunately) were all correct. It wasn't until an hour later, while sitting in the other DMV (a story for another post), that I discovered the mistake.

No wonder the moment I put the license into my wallet that I felt the sudden urge to brush my hair! No wonder I started to notice all the shoes in the shops as we walked! No wonder that despite my deep hunger, I ordered a salad anyways! The reason behind my wonderment was clear. There it was. On that small plastic card. Right under the words "Sex", there it was. A big, clear, fat, F.

For one hour, for longer than I would ever like to experience again, I was a registered female in Washington DC. The thought came to me, because I was so frustrated with all the other DMV challenges we have had, that I should just leave it and that it didn't matter. But then I had flashes to future difficult situations. What if I get pulled over? What if I want to get on an airplane? What if someone asks me to prove that I am actually a male? These daunting situations pursuaded me to rush to the counter, and plead for a sex change....on my license. Minutes later I was handed a new license, with the familiar constanant, M. Oh, good to have you back M! Please, don't ever leave me again!

Well, I can only hope that there will be no more future mishaps with my identity. DC, thanks for messing with my life. How about instead of finding ways to mess with me, you find me a job instead.

With love,

Kyle
A man.
I promise.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since when were you a witty writer? If I followed blogs, I'd definitely follow yours.