Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Best Day of Birth!

Dear DC,

One week from today (or I think it's midnight now, so one week from yesterday) is the blessed day of my birth. I will be turning the big 2-4 on June 3rd!

I feel OLD. Seriously, I am watching the wrinkles deepen on my forehead and it's driving me nuts - I am not kidding, they are there. Even Kyle admits that they are there and he's usually too nice and loving to agree with me.

So as I look back on my long and sage life, I can't help but reminisce about my all-time favorite birthdays - or at least the ones I can remember in my old age.

5 years old - Princess and Prince Birthday. My mom made the princess hats as long cones with fabric hanging off the ends for the girls and crowns for the boys. She also made the most amazing pink ice cream cake in the shape of a castle. It's really quite easy if you buy the blocks of ice cream. You put three blocks vertical and top them with waffle cones and then use graham crackers to make the drawbridge. I still remember how excited I was to see it.

8 years old - I took a bunch of friends and went out to the Remington Carriage House Museum in Cardston, AB. We even got to ride in a horse-drawn carriage. Why I was so interested in carriages as an eight-year-old? Who knows - I've always been a huge nerd. I'm surprised I haven't yet had a Star Trek or Chess themed birthday. Heck, even a spelling bee birthday wouldn't be out of my nerd zone. We also ate at the '50's diner in Cardston called Pizza's 'n Cream. Oh, and I got baptized into my church...that was pretty cool.

16 years old - My friends came over to my house and filled up my entire room with balloons. When I opened my door they just came flooding out!! It apparently took them hours to do it. Not only was this one of the nicest things anyone had ever done for me, it was also a complete and total surprise. I think it's the only time I have been truly surprised! My mom also had a surprise party planned for that year me but she spilled the beans when I got mad at her because I didn't think she had planned anything. Teenagers are so awful sometimes.

23 years old - Kyle sent me flowers at work...so sweet! We also had a family dinner at Kyle's mom's house in Utah. Sometimes the simplest birthdays are the best.

So here's to another year and another birthday and another wrinkle.

With "One year older and wiser too" Love,

Julia

1 comments:

nichole said...

Well, I hope we remember to call, but if we forget (which I wouldn't put it past us), hope you have a wonderful birthday and a fabulous 24th year!