Monday, February 9, 2009

One of These Things is Not Like the Other

Dear DC,

You may not know this, but there are some significant differences between DC and Utah. Some obvious and some not-so-much.

1. There is a church on every other corner, but it's not a LDS church! Churches are everywhere and of every denomination! Some of the most "original" that I have seen include (forgive me if I offend anyone...I am not poking fun at these churches, just pointing out how different these churches are from the one(s) in Utah):

  • Arabic Baptist Church of Washington (how shocking!)
  • Perfection of the Saints (I'm glad someone has figured perfection out)
  • Beginning Church (after a few years you get to go to Intermediate Church across the street)
  • Church of Chris (either the "t" fell off or Chris is a really cool guy)
2. No one apologizes if they swear around me at work like they did at my last job. F?#@ that!

3. I am an official racial minority as part of the 36% Caucasian population.

4. When it snows here the whole city shuts down and people complain when the schools are still open. When it snows in Utah you are still expected to show up for work on time and parents complain if their children aren't let out for recess!

5. Sunday is the busiest day at the grocery store with lines 10 people deep compared to the virtual ghost town in Utah grocery stores on Sundays.

Oh the quirks of living in "the real world." I LOVE IT!

With Minority Love,

Julia

0 comments: